Pages

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Approved

The USCIS has definitely been one of the more difficult aspects of the adoption process. First, you fill out the preliminary 1600A paperwork for "advanced processing of an orphan petition."

In other words homeland security/USCIS must approve us to adopt a baby internationally.

So, several months ago we mailed off the copies ( yes copies - USCIS always wants several copies of each page of the applications and they ALL must be hand written - no filling out one and then copying) and a check for processing the application and fingerprinting. Oh, and the homestudy the agency put together of us after several interviews, a look at our home, and reference letters from neighbors and friends.... and tax returns, birth certificates, marriage certificates, and I am sure I left a few things out.

Basically we mailed them a tree because by the time the packet was ready to mail that is how much paper was used.

Then we got an appointment to go to Elizabeth for Biometrics fingerprinting. (which was the second set that we had since starting the process)

Then they did an extensive background check and probably know more about me then I know about myself.

They were citing up to 75 days for approval of this 'pre-approval'.

Yeah, about that, on day 73 I recieved a great big pink letter requesting more evidence.

Over the next 24 hours I provided my agency with more paperwork and they worked closely with my officer to get things rectified.

At just about 90 days I was pre-approved..... Just days after finding out James was our son.

Then lucky me got to copy and fill out more paperwork for the USCIS. I got to copy my entire tax return ..... the E.N.T.I.R.E. things. Every W-2, interest statement, investments, medical deductions...... yeah - goood times!!!! and make copies of all of the legal paperwork from Korea to send with my originals. When the monsterous packet was put together I mailed off the 1600 (petition to classify an orphan as an immiadiate relative) paperwork and prayed that I would get a nice officer who would read my cover letter and return the original documents.

Today I recieved this!!!!




That is my USCIS APPROVAL.

James has been approved by the USA to come home and be our son.

This time next year he will be a US citizen celebrating the 4th of July.

To celebrate I made sure to finish his care package today. It is all ready to go to the post office tomorrow. Then it will cross the pond and arrive in Seoul, Korea sometime next week.... where it will wait for my boy until he comes into the center for his 10 month well baby check.



It is so hard to pick what to send when you have to fit it into a small box.

I totally disagree with the US Postal Services idea of large. The large Priority Mail box is pretty small if you ask me.

We picked a cute Kushies KuKu bird jammies, matching blanket, and matching lovies doll. I loved this when Zoey was a baby so I had to get James the matching set.

We also picked some Osh Kosh shortalls, Carters jammies, Beach Bum shortalls, and a few toys.

We got a nice Polo shirt, vitamins, and a bracelet for the wonderful woman who has been giving our boy so much love and care.

Last, a glow worm which is a gift from two people who will have a very special place in James' life when he makes it home- his godparents!

Sweet baby James we hope you like your toys ♥ Big sister Zoey has been doing such a good job thinking of you while we wait. We never leave the grocery store without a few jars of baby food and if I turn around for a second she fills my shopping cart with diapers and toys any chance she gets. She tells everyone about her brother "James Jun-Hop." and it is just too cute the way she mispronounces it. She loves you so much already as do we all. Looking forward to being a family of four, together, under one roof. Sweet baby James we can't wait for you to come home forever.

0 comments:

Post a Comment